Friday, October 14th, 2011:
Now that we have the required systems in place to ‘count’ as a custom built RV, we were able to take the car-hauler trailer title down to the local Secretary of State’s office and register our tiny house as a recreational vehicle in the State of Illinois. We had to prove that we had a water supply, an electrical supply, a stove, and toilet. No problems there.
Now, as a road legal R.V., we can move it on the highway and use it in a camp ground and beyond!
Sunday, October 9th, 2011:
We scrubbed the effected siding yesterday, getting most of the mold/mildew spots off of the tiny house. We’ve now decided to treat it with a mold inhibiting product to ensure we kill what growth is still in the porous wood before re-sealing the cedar.
Found a product that hooks right up to the hose and claims to be eco-friendly. Bathing the house went quickly, and now we’re ready to re-apply the weather seal on the two sides we scrubbed down to the wood.
Saturday, October 8th, 2011:
We’ve run into a mold/mildew problem.
Two sides of our tiny house exploded with tiny black spots over the summer. Oddly, the two sides that were exposed to the direct sunlight spotted up. The other two sides, the ones that were constantly shaded, are as clear as the day we put the weather seal on.
We looked up some options for taking care of the mold, and found several folks recommending the use of an oxygen cleaner. Many people were cautioning away from the use of bleach, suggesting that it would break down the wood fibers in the siding.
Taking this advice, we purchased an off-brand ‘oxyclean’ type product. A little bit of elbow grease, and we’ve gotten most of the spots off. Took off a lot of the weather seal, as well. Once we clear this problem up, we’ll re-apply…